Finally. I am very happy to start offering the Sashiko Online Class via On-Deman videos on our Vimeo page. In order to avoid any unfortunate misunderstandings, please read carefully this “Sashiko Online Class Terms and Conditions” before signing up here.
【Last Update: June 2021 // Class is available as of 2021】
What is Included in Sashiko Online Class
Online Videos to Learn Sashiko
- Section.1: Sashiko Lecture about history and wisdom (about 30 minutes duration. Lecture style)
- Section.2: Stitching Lecture about the core of Sashiko (about 30 minutes duration. First, watch the video through, then move hands with watching it for the second time.)
- Section.3: Sashiko Stitching Lecture about how to maximize the Sashiko experience with stitching with Asanoha pattern.
- Live Session: A participant joins the Live Zoom Session to confirm their learning (Semi-private setting).
*I have to admit that the video filming and editing isn’t my strength. You will have unlimited access to those videos for a year, and I will keep updating the video as necessary. If you have any questions, please feel free to share so I can improve the videos.
This is the online version of the Sashiko Stitching Workshop (Core & Basic). Due to “new normal” during/after Covid-19, the opportunity for In-person Sashiko Workshop is limited. After 2 years of teaching online, I am confident to say that the Online Sashiko Class is as good as the in-person workshop.
Some of the topics, such as “how to apply Sashiko stitching to visible mending” or “how to stitch the certain patterns” are not included in this Sashiko Online Class. I have a plan to offer them as a subscription program. When it happens, this Sashiko Online Class (Core and Basic) will be the prerequisite to any of the workshops I offer.
**If it is extremely difficult to join the Online Session, I also understand that. In that case, the participant can send me a video of him/her stitching as I introduced in the workshop. The person has a year to join the Online session or to send me a video for checking. I am afraid that the prerequisite will not be effective until Atsushi actually confirms the stitching the way the participant does.
Materials to learn Sashiko with:
The Online Sashiko Class comes with all of the materials you would need to ennjoy Sashiko. The contents are following:
- Indigo dyed cotton fabric with Asano-ha pattern printed on (Please do NOT pre-wash).
- Fabrics to make a tote bag (Lining and Interfacing)
- Swatches to practice the needle movement (and they can be used as a bag handle)
- A skein of Sashiko Thread – White
- A package of Sashiko needles (3) and the Thimble
- Sashiko Thread Bobbin Paper
- A chalk pencil to enforce the pattern
*If you have purchased the set of Sashiko needle and thimble from us before, I will refund the amount as a store credit so you can purchase something in the future or in the same order. Please contact me with the order number (If your purchase was from Amazon store or Etsy store, I will refund the amount after subtracting the fee for Amazon and Etsy). If you have purchased the #12 thread
Support for your learning experience
- I will be available for any questions over e-mail. If I cannot answer it over the email, I will make a video to clear your concern.
- Unlimited access to the videos to learn Sashiko Online for a year starting from the day you receive the official welcome email.
- After completing the section.3, One ticket to the Online Life-style Sashiko gathering to clear up all the questions and confirming what you learned through video.
The preparation requirement on the Participant side
Please prepare the items on the list below. The tools and items below are NOT included in the Online Sashiko Class materials.
- Fabric Scissor (or good fine scissors to cut the skein of the thread) – You may purchase one from me here.
- Thread Clipper (A scissor above would be acceptable, but it is a good idea to have the thread clipper for better result) – You may purchase one from me here (*strongly getting the high end, like above $20).
- Scotch Tape – Any tape is fine. We use it to secure the thread together
- Threader – I will explain how to thread the needle, but a threader may help for the first few times.
- Masking Tape or Vynil Tape to protect your
*Please expect the email describing what kind of preparation we need for the Live-Session for Sashiko Online Class. It isn’t so complicated, but you would need a smartphone (or a PC) and a stand (or a tripod).
A limit numbers for the sign-ups
Although the most part of the Sashiko Online Class is done by you watching the recorded videos, I set the limit numbers for the sign-ups for a period of time so I can be fully supportive to the participants.
The Sashiko Online Class completes when the participants join one of the Live Sessions where Atsushi will confirm the hand-stitching he/she performs & answer questions. Therefore, we would like to keep the numbers as comfortably manageable. The Sashiko Online Class is the hybrid of Video Lectures (on Vimeo) as well as the Live-Style workshop.[Update in 2021]
- When you are fully vaccinated, you may make a visit to Lewisburg, PA for the in-person Live Session. Please contact me for the availability (Not available for the summer of 2021)”
- Due to a high demand, the Online Sashiko Class may be “sold out”. In that case, please fill-out the waiting list so that I can contact you before refilling the spot.
Videos are strictly for the participants
Please respect these terms and conditions for all the Sashiko online class materials. It is, of course, for the copyright we hold for the contents we make. It took so much effort to come up.
I am not only talking about compensation for us. Spreading the videos to the ocean of the Internet is so scary because the videos can cause misunderstandings without the proper explanation. I decided to offer the Sashiko Online Class by overcoming the fear of making some mistakes on-demand Videos. The reason I could overcome the fear was the trust of the others that they will be responsible & I will be extra careful. Your understanding of my situation would be very much appreciated.
As I mentioned above, the Sashiko online class complete when Atsushi checks the Unshin (運針）and answers all the questions about Sashiko stitching. It is the support and follow-up that makes a difference. I learned that the video itself will not teach the core of Sashiko stitching 100%, and it is very important that I will meet you over the Internet.
If this video goes to the public, we won’t be able to follow-up with all the audiences. People will watch what they want, and they will understand Sashiko as they want. It will not achieve the goal I set for the Sashiko Online Class.
We sincerely appreciate your understanding. Please do not share the passwords to watch the videos with others. Again, someone misunderstanding what I really would like to share by watching the “free” video is the last thing I would like to experience throughout this new challenge
How the Lecture videos Work
By agreeing and paying the fee, I will add you to the Sashiko Online Class mailing list (or a Group-chat App). Your access to the On-Deman videos is valid for a year. Within the year, you can watch the videos of Sashiko Online Class (core & basic) as many times as you need.
I know I am not good at filming the video. Therefore, I plan to update the videos every once a while, and as necessary. Occasionally, I change the password when I feel the necessity. So please make sure that you have your email address available for the Google Group email. The access for the videos can be extended for the extra fee (Please find the latest google form that I had asked students to extend their subscription. I believe it is reasonable.)
The Password will be in the supply package. You will receive an email when we change the password.
You receive one ticket to join the Online Sashiko gathering, where you can ask any questions. I will also make sure that you learned everything I introduced by checking your hand-posture and stitching. You may receive the 2nd ticket if I find any issues or concerns that need to be resolved. This Online Sashiko gathering will take about 30 minutes to up to 120 minutes, depends on the person’s level of understanding.
Don’t worry too much. My goal is to help you to master the Sashiko stitching.
*You may purchase the 3rd or 4th ticket to join the Live Session for the extra fee. Please let me know if you are interested. I am pretty sure that the videos and one-time live-style workshops are comprehensive for you so you won’t need an extra ticket. I will offer the 2nd one if there is anything we couldn’t resolve. Also, Watching my live-streaming would be just enough to make sure you are doing appropriately. However, I am happy to have 3rd or 4th session if you would like to: Please choose a ticket here
Terms and Conditions for Sashiko Online Class
- All the participants of the Sashiko Online Class read this article & registration carefully and agree with the contents.
- No images or videos
isallowed to be shared online or with others unless the person has written permission (email) from Atsushi and Upcycle Stitches LLC.
- All contents throughout the Sashiko Online Class is protected by copyright to Atsushi Futatsuya & Upcycle Stitches LLC
- All purchase is final. There is no refund
availableunless Atsushi made a fatal mistake in his explanation.
Cancel and Refund Policy
Since this workshop includes a lot of materials delivered to you prior to the actual workshop, we do not accept the cancellation and refund after the official welcome email with mentioning the package is shipped out. The subscription will start the day you receive the package from us.
You may reschedule the Live Session to check up your progress after signing up, but please respect us and the others who join the Live Session on the same day. So please let me know as soon as possible. In
Your understanding and cooperation would be very much appreciated.
I am looking forward to meeting you!!
[Last Edit: June 2021]