I often wonder what Sashiko was for the Japanese in 17th or 18th century. A few hundred years later, I am sharing the Sashiko they had practiced. One of the core concept of Sashiko is a sense of community – not stitching technique, design of pattern, or accuracy of each stitches. Sashiko provided the time & place where people can get together, talk to each other, make sure everyone is okay, and stitch. It is my honor to offer the “Online Sashiko Gathering” – where we simply share the time and place over stitching & talking no matter where you are in the world.
What is Online Sashiko Gathering
Online Sashiko Gathering (OSG) is a Zoom meeting where people get together for stitching and talking. OSG is not a structured workshop or class to teach on Sashiko. A participant will bring their own stitching project, and stitch in front of the camera/smartphone sharing a beautiful time (community). There are no restriction, no time table, no assignments. Although I set up the rules to keep the OSG a healthy place, I believe a mutual respect will keep me offering the online Sashiko gathering. Please join us as if you are visiting your friend/family house for the purpose of stitching. A glass of wine and/or a cup of hot tea may be a good accompany.
Who can join the OSG
Ideally, I would like to have anyone who enjoy Sashiko. However, to keep the gathering healthy and satisfactory, please let me prioritize the students/friends who have taken (are taking) Atsushi’s Sashiko Workshop/Online Sashiko Class.
- Online Sashiko Class (2019 & 2020)
- Sashiko Stitching Workshop (Core & Basic) offered in-person before March 2020 – with more than 3 hours length.
My goal is to involve everyone. This is not a rejection to anyone who have not taken Atsushi’s workhop, it is just a prioritizing for organizing purpose. Please check the paragraph of “How to join the OSG” below even if you are not taking the Sashiko Workshop/Class by Atsushi. At the same time, please consider taking the Online Sashiko Class. Many gave me a feedback that it was an eye-opening experience.
How to join the OSG
Please fill out the simple registration form below. I will send you an invitation following the priority list.
Online Sashiko Gathering doesn’t require any preparation but just installing the Zoom App on your device. However, it may be more satisfactory when you prepare your device to look at the screen while you sharing the stitching. Please check this article for the preparation you may need for joining the Zoom Session (This article is designed for those who takes the Online Sashiko Class & Live Session).
How much does it cost to join
A free of charge! (If you think it is “too generous”, please advise me. I couldn’t come up with pricing, and I say, “let’s do it first and then think”.)
When is the Online Sashiko Gathering
I will schedule whenever I can… It really depends on the school schedule of my daughter as well. Such a strange time & Such a new world. The dates below are confirmed.
- Friday, July 31st, 2020, around 8 pm EST (Time will be flexible).
- Friday, August 28th, 2020. Around 8 pm EST starting.
Online Sashiko Gathering Rules and Terms
- Please respect each other. That’s the principal of this Sashiko Gathering. Please be nice & polite as much as you can.
- Please keep any discussion & topics within the Sashiko Gathering, unless you get the permission from the person and/or an entire group. The participants may share their personal stories. I would like to keep the OSG as a safe place where anyone can say anything. Please do not “share” the conversation outside of the OSG with non-participants. (It is okay to share that you join the OSG, but not what happened there.)
- I (Atsushi) will start the OSG at the scheduled time, but I may not be there for the entire time. This is a gathering anyone from any places in the world can join. I would like to welcome everyone over the time-difference. I may assign the “host” assignment someone else so that the gathering can keep going. I offer the Online Sashiko Gathering in Japanese twice a month for 2 years. It can go up to 16 hours (I know it is crazy), and I cannot be there for 16 hours. There is no set-ending time. As long as people wants to talk & stitch, The OSG continues (24 hours is the maximum due to the Zoom capacity).
- Atsushi & hosts will have permission to remove/reject a participants who are disrespectful this Online Sashiko Gathering.
- Atsushi may use a photo of Online Sashiko Gathering, with asking for the permission of usage.
I will keep adding the rules and terms. Please advise me if you have anything to be added or removed.
Please fill out the form to be on the list. I will send you an invitation to join the Google Group where I share the link to join the Online Sashiko Gathering. Please contact Atsushi if you do not receive the invitation 30 days after completing this form. Please be advised that Only Workshop/Class graduate will receive the invitation as of August 2020 due to high numbers of request.