Stitching Sashiko Together in Japan, while sharing the view of my Sashiko Experience. It has been my dream to make it happen to bring my Sashiko friends to Japan with. In 2019, I started planning the one. I completed the itinerary, made reservations for everyone on the list, even paid some deposit for some events… and I had to cancel everything due to the pandemic. 2.5 years has passed since, I am very happy to announce the “Sashiko Japan Tour 2023 Spring” will come to true.
Please understand that this is NOT a commercial tour available to the general public. It is more like me taking you to Japan as my friend (since you are my friends after taking the Online Sashiko Class or In-Person Workshop). No “packaged sightseeing tour” is part of the itinerary. No “touristy stuff” may be included. However, instead, I am adding many exclusive Sashiko experience with asking my Sashiko friends in Japan. “Sashiko Japan Tour 2023 Spring” will be something very unique for those who love & wish to learn Sashiko & Boro more.
To receive more detail information & get a spot, please fill out the Google Form below.
*As of 10/29, all the spots are tentatively reserved (waiting for their confirmation for the schedule). You can be on the waiting list, and I will contact you in the order I receive the submission on Google Form.
Theme of Sashiko Japan Tour 2023
“Meet Peeple & Experience Sashiko” – this is the theme of this tour. Also, this is one reason you may want to join the tour I organize among many other “Japanese Textile Tour”. We do not have any “planned” sightseeing package (We will have free time for us to “choose” to go to sightseeing). Instead, we ask a local Sashiko people (including Atsushi) to show us around to experience their Sashiko & meet new people for us. Atsushi will be always there to help communication.
We plan to visit many stores for “Shopping”, but very much focused on Sashiko, textile, Boro, and Natural Dye – pretty much anything related Sashiko. Instead, we will NOT stop by a large shopping center for the souvenior in the tour. You can arrange one before or after the actual tour if you would like to do so, and I am happy to help.
HighLight of the Tour
Atsushi is actively planning many events in Japan. Please find what you can expect as the main event in this tour:
- Socializing Event to meet Japanese Sashiko stitchers – Keiko & our work’s Exhibition.
- Meeting & Stitching with Keiko in Takayama (Sashiko & Boro & Hitomezashi Workshops) – for days (Prerequisite of Atsushi’s Workshop “Core & Essence” – Online Sashiko Class before tour is available for those are very new to our Sashiko)
- Join the Famous Takayama Festival (Spring) from Local’s View.
- Traditional Meal in Takayama, in 200+ years old restraurants with Michelin starts. Atsushi personally explain the significance of this place in English.
- A Whole Day in Takayama for Shopping & SightSeeing from Local Eyes.
- A Whole Day in Kyoto for Shopping & possible Workshops (Store list available in the Itenary)
- A Whole Day in Tokyo for visiting friends & Shopping
- Kogin-Sashi Workshop with meeting a legendary Teacher in Tokyo.
- A visit to Shirakawago (National Heritage) to see the houses (places) where they would be stitching for their survival.
- Authentic Natural Indigo Dye Workshop in suberb of Tokyo (when one choose “Extended”)
For more information, please visit our Special Page for Sashiko Japan Tour 2023
Also, you can find the archive of Newsletters & Annoucnement I have done so far.
This is the First, but not the last.
I sincerely hop that I can continue offering this great opportunity to anyone who learn Sashiko from me. This is NOT a commercial tour to provide the Tourism Side of Japan – however, I believe that I can offer the “Real View of Current Japanese Sashiko” – which I always talk about on my SNS.
Even if you are not able to join this tour, filling out the application (there is an option to not to join this time), and letting me if you may be interested in future along with your preference will help me to look for more opportunities. Thank you & I am looking forward to spending time with you in Japan!