The Japanese have an interesting custom to celebrate the new year with purchasing “lucky-bag” so-called Fukubukuro (A bag filled with fortune). A Fukubukuro contains many merchandises to start the new year’s activity. According to the documents, a draper in Edo period started selling their items in a bag on the first day of their business. I thought it would be fun to follow this custom even in the US, to celebrate the new year of 2019 with Sashiko. Here is Sashiko Fukubukuro from Upcycle Stitches.
Detail of Sashiko Fukubukuro
Traditionally, a customer will not know what is inside of a bag. The core concept is the idea of “blind bag”. However, I would like to avoid any miscommunication and disappointment… so I will introduce what will be inside the bag below. The color of the thread and which items in the bag will be the idea of “Lucky Bag”.
*All the photos are the sample contents. Colors and items insides are subject to change, but the photo explains what you can expect to get.
*Sales starts January 4th at 1 pm EST.
A. Keiko Bag – Sashiko Thread Fukubukuro
This “A Keiko Bag” will have 7 skeins of Sashiko thread that Keiko uses every day. It will include at least 3 Naturally Dyed Sashiko thread, hand-dyed by Keiko.
Atsushi will pick up the colors. The possible colors you will get are following:
- Mono Color Sashiko Thread | $11.80 value per skein
- Variegated Color Sashiko Thread | $12.80 value per skein
- Sashi.Co Original Sashiko Thread | $14.00 value per skein
- Naturally Dyed Sashiko Thread | $21.00 value per skein
- Indigo & Kakishibu Dyed Sashiko Thread | $25.00 value per skein
- Unique Pastel Color Sashiko Thread | $12.50 value per skein
- Unique Variegated Color Sashiko Thread | $13.50 value per skein
*The total retail value will be no less than $112.20.
As you may know already, we rarely offer the sales deal. I hope you can enjoy this Fukubukuro to try out our beautiful & the highest quality Sashiko Thread.
I prepared 7 bags. The rule of First come First serve will be applied.
The price is $98.00 including the US Domestic Shipping by USPS. I can make an international shipment, but the extra shipping fee will be applied.
B. Azu Bag – Sashiko Related Items Fukubukuro
This “B. Azu Bag” will have Sashiko related items for anyone to maximize their Sashiko experience.
The items are selected randomly, and here is a list of the possible items you may expect to receive (Please understand that it will NOT contain everything I mention here. I will choose items from this list).
Please contact me if you have any questions. I will make sure to meet your expectation and exceed the item’s value. My goal is to encourage people to start enjoying Sashiko.
A possible item list. The contents will be randomly selected by these.
- Sashiko Needles and thimble Set |
- A few skeins of Sashiko thread | more than $35 in value
- Fabric for Sashiko (Manufactured in Japan) | more than $20 in Value
- Small Vintage Fabric swatch
- A chalk pencil
- A Pin Cushion
- A grip scissors
- Supplies to transfer the patterns to the fabric
The price for the “B. Azu Bag” is also $98.00 with USPS shipping fee included.
Terms and Conditions for Sashiko Fukubukuro
Please read the terms of “Sashiko Fukubukuro” service before you place the order. It is based on a concept of “blind bag” and “lucky bag”. Therefore, we will not accept any returns for the contents you receive. We will do our best to exceed your expectation in terms of values of contents.
- The Bags will be sold between January 4th (@1pm in EST) to January 18th in 2019. The sales continue while the supply last, and it may be ended before the final date.
- The shipping will be made accordingly to the order. However, unlike the other regular order which usually is shipped in 1 business day, this order will take longer than that (Please expect a week to 2 weeks to be shipped). Regardless, all of the order will be shipped before the end of January.
- We will not accept any return of cancel after the shipment. If you coule like to cancel the order, please let us know as soon as possible.
- The Sashiko Fukubukuro Bag may contain an item without original packaging. We will re-package and will send them in a nice condition.
- The item may be an item which was “returned” as the sellable condition. No second hand item will be included (besides the vintage fabric).
Real “Fortune” reside in the stitches
I hope everyone enjoys Sashiko stitching in 2019 and encounter(make) the special Sashiko for yourself.
The photos above are the Sashiko bag Keiko made for our dear friend. The “fortune” is in our caring spirit and each stitches, and we offer “lucky bag” to make it happen.
Happy New Year of 2019!
*If you resides outside of USA and would like to check the special offer from Japan, please take a look at this article.
3 thoughts to “Sashiko Fukubukuro 2019 with fortune in it.”
I ordered the Keiko bag and was delighted with the contents. The threads are all high quality and I’m looking forward to spending many happy hours stitching beautiful patterns with them.
Thank you so much for the comment. The thread is for a couple (could be a dozen) of projects amount. I wish I could share the many happy hours together, but I am sure we are doing the same in the different location. Hope to see you soon. Best Regards,