I introduced some of Sashiko Stitched Facemask on Instagram. I appreciate many admiration on comments. At the same time, I receive quite many inquiries if the Sashiko FaceMask is for sale. Since I am a caregiver to my daughter & Sashiko FaceMask takes many hours to complete, I am not thinking to offer a Sashiko Face mask for sale as of April 2020. Instead, I made a “Sashiko FaceMask Kit” so that you can make it by yourself with enjoying Sashiko. Although the kit doesn’t include the written instruction, a whole Live-Streaming of me making the Sashiko mask is available as a Youtube Video, and I will follow-up the request on this article as much as I can, including some “hows” videos & information.
It would be great if you could enjoy a process of Sashiko, and then enjoy the result of Sashiko FaceMask Kit in this crisis.
The mask you may make out of this set is NOT a solution for the medical purpose. The Sashiko stitching itself may be an unnecessary process in terms of “filtering” the virus perspective.
Please understand that the set is for ENJOYING SASHIKO while making something to cover your mouth. If you are in need of protecting yourself from virus, please get the N95 or other appropriate equipment.
Sashiko FaceMask Kit description
Full-set includes everything you need to make Sashiko FaceMask with enjoying Sashiko. Basic Set will deliver the fabrics that I used to make the Sashiko mask. The detail is available on the product page, and please make sure to read before your purchase.
Full Set includes:
- 1. Outside Fabric // Indigo Dye Cotton 100% Fabric (About 9″ x 10.5″) – the best fabric for enjoying Sashiko
- 2. Inside Fabric // Cotton 100% Poplin Fabric (About 9″ x 10.5″) – very smooth touch
- 3. Gauze fabric for the insert // cotton 100% (About 9″ x 13″) – the purpose of this insert is to retain some moisture to protect mask being wet in short period of time. You may use this fabric as a washable & removable filter (Not the medical filter).
- 4. Pattern Paper for Mask Shape (On Card Stock 110 index) – *please adjust the size. The mask is “adult” size
- 5. Elastic Band // 1/4 wide, about ~30″ length
- 6. A Sashiko Thread (Our regular & favorite) // $13.50 value on Etsy // Color of your choice from 15 colors (if no specification, the bright white will be picked)
- 7. A set of thimble & needles // $14.50 value on Etsy
- 8. Thread bobbin paper
- 9. Chalk Pencil
*Basic Set includes (1) to (5)
*Full Set comes with Free US Domestic Shipping
Follow Up Information for Sashiko FaceMask Kit
Please find a list of information here for the follow-up. I rushed to offer the kit before preparing the tutorials. I will try my best to keep up with a request from those who purchase the kits (Please contact me with the order number.)
- An example of how to proceed.
- Prepare the pattern first on the back side of fabric (We traditionally fold fabric inside front. So, outside is the backside.
- Enjoy Sashiko stitching.
- (This process can be skipped for Sashiko Mask) Soak the fabric into the water and dry it (avoid tumble dry for this step).
- Cut the fabric as the Mask Pattern.
- Sew the mask up.
- Wash it before you use it & follow the sanitizing procedure.
- After several washes and drying, it should be fine to be washed in a washing machine & tumble dry. At least, that’s what I do.
Sashiko Youtube Videos
- Live Streaming Archive
- Edited Tutorial of How to Make Sashiko FaceMask (from Live Streaming) // Preparing
- How to sanitize the fabric mask // Preparing
- How to transfer the pattern on the fabric
- How to Draw Asanoha Pattern on the fabric.
- Why Do I make Sashiko FaceMask
Useful Information on article
- Sashiko Mask Pattern (with some instruction)
Last Update: April 20th, 2020