In 2019, we start getting many inquiries about the Sashiko Class in Japan. We only offer a Sashiko Class in Japan for those who took Atsushi’ Sashiko Workshop either In-person or Online. If you do not speak Japanese fluently and want to take a Sashiko Workshop offered by Keiko Futatsuya, please take Atsushi’s workshop first. The Online workshop is available for anyone, anywhere in the world (wherever the Japan post deliver the package to).
If you are fluent in Japanese, or a native Japanese, please find the detail on our Japanese website. Keiko occasionally offers a Sashiko class in Japan, mainly in Gifu Prefecture.
VIsiting us to Japan
As much as we enjoy offering the workshop, we understand that there is a need for just a simple visit to Keiko for the purpose of enjoying her beautiful Sashiko pieces, and probably for the purpose of purchasing her Sashiko supplies directly from her.
However, we have a storefront (physical store or studio) neither in Japan nor the US. Keiko will open up her private house to show her collection and supplies when we can make an appointment together. It requires scheduling and a lot of preparation. We used to accommodate all of the requests to make an appointment with Keiko without any fee or agreement. However, after some sad experiences, we are setting up a condition to set up a date for the appointment.
So, please check the agreement for making the appointment to visit Keiko. If you plan to have a workshop with Keiko, there is no need to worry about it.
Agreement for making an appointment
You may contact Atsushi via email for making an appointment with Keiko for sharing her Sashiko piece and/or Sashiko supplies with agreeing on the terms and condition below.
- As a setting up fee, the applicant agrees to pay 3,900 JPY (About $35.00 USD) at the point when the appointment is confirmed by Keiko. The part of this fund of 3,900 JPY, which will be over Paypal transaction, will be applied as the store credit when the applicant purchase an item(s) or supplies from Keiko in their visit to Keiko’s place. She will deduct the 3,500 JPY from the total (please understand that the 400 JPY is for the setup fee for Atsushi and its transaction fee).
- Cancellation Policy is as below
- 30 days prior to the visit: 80% of the fee will be refunded.
- 7 days prior to the visit: 50% of the fee will be refunded.
- 1 day or no show: No refund available.
- No funds will be refunded even if the visitor (an applicant who visited Keiko’s house) purchased less than 3,900 JPY amount of items or decided to not to purchase anything.
- If you are a graduate of Atsushi’ Workshop, the 3,900 JPY of the advance payment will be waived.
- In Keiko’s house, she strongly prefers cash as a payment option. When you would like to use the credit card, please expect 5% fee for the transaction fee for Atsushi to help Keiko to make it happen.
The location where to meet Keiko
Keiko’s Sashiko Class (or private pop-up store) in Japan will be mainly taken place in a city called Takayama in Gifu Prefecture. Although it is well-known for a great tourist destination, it is pretty far from Kyoto or Tokyo. Please make sure that your itinerary can cover the visit before contacting Atsushi. Keiko occasionally offers the workshops outside of her town. However, those workshops usually require the Japanese language skill (no translator will be available).
Please contact Atsushi when you know the specific date of your visit because Keiko’s schedule is quite packed as well. We cannot guarantee the appointment until Keiko confirms the date and time.
Learn what we offer
Before the visit (or even before contacting Atsushi), it is strongly recommended to read through some of the articles on this website. Some of the critical information you need to read in advance are:
Other workshop teachers in Japan
Since we do not issue any certification to be the “Sashiko teacher” on behalf of us, there is no other teacher who can offer the same workshop. However, from the graduates of Atsusih’s Sashiko Workshop in Japanese, there are several students who are very good & willing to share the culture, technique, and wisdom of Sashiko we have been sharing.
They may not be English friendly teachers (they may speak only in Japanese). However, if you happen to visit somewhere nearby, it may be a good idea to contact them. As of 2019, please contact me first so I can pass the contact information individually.
List of Sashiko artisans who may be able to arrange the workshop.
Our main goal is to share the Sashiko we are proud of
We take customer satisfaction seriously. The happiness of customers (visitors, participants, and any people we encounter) are very important to us. However, the first priority is to continue in sharing the Sashiko we are proud of. This is one of the biggest difference between us and the other big company. The customer service does not come first.
We will do our best to make it happen. Your interest is what makes Sashiko alive in the future, and we respect your interest and passion. We just want you to respect what we do as well. I hope this change of terms and conditions are somewhat agreeable.
Keiko and I are looking forward to meeting (seeing) you.