The word of Sashiko starts getting popular in 2000’s slowly but surely. I enjoyed Sashiko workshop in the Netherlands in 2012. I had many customers from Australia. Many people from Hawaii with Japanese heritage visited us throughout the years. However, Sashiko is still minor field. Many people wonder how to start it. Although it is simple to start Sashiko and it doesn’t require you to purchase a lot of expensive tools and/or materials, I thought it would be nice to prepare the “Sashiko Starter Set” for those who want to start Sashiko today. I hope this set will motivate Sashiko market to grow bigger.
Sashiko Starter Set | Everything you need to start Sashiko
In order to learn what Sashiko is and how we practice Sashiko stitching, please refer to the overview article about Sashiko.
In this Set, you will have everything you would need to start Sashiko stitching, besides a ballpoint pen or a tracing wheel. A cheap ballpoint pen from a dollar store (preferably with red ink) would be fine. If you would need a threader, please get it by yourself. Also, some project may require the interface. The interface is not included.
The set include;
- Indigo Dyed Fabric | Cotton 100% / 24.5″ x 11″
- Cotton Poplin Fabric (for back fabric usgae) / 24.5″ x 11″
- Mylar Paper (for transferring the pattern)
- Chakopee Carbon Paper (for transferring the pattern)
- Safety Pins (for transferring the pattern)
- Sashiko Patterns | 4 of traditional patterns
- Sashiko Thread | 145 meter | Cotton 100% | #10 – Original White
- 3 Sashiko needles and 1 Sashiko thimble
- Itomaki Bobbin Paper (For keeping Sashiko thread in a good shape)
Imagine what you want to make with Sashiko. It’s the start.
After you get the Sashiko Starter Set, it is up to what you make. We will keep updating the website and video tutorials for stimulation and inspiration for your Sashiko. Imagine what you want to do with Sashiko. It is the start of your enjoyable journey with Sashiko.